Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It's not just me

Today most of the customers in our store had the common sense of sand. For instance, someone with a lot of stuff in their cart gets through the check-out, looks down and says..."Gee, you got all that in 1 bag!" (yea, not counting the 5 other bags you have here!) Funny thing though, when one of us is having a day like that, we are not alone. Most of the rest of us are having the exact same kind of day. For those of you who don't believe in the "full moon syndrome", let me assure you it is very real. Now I honestly don't know where we are in the current moon cycle due to all the clouds we have had the last few nights, but today felt like a full moon to me. When it gets really bad, we wander through the back hall of the store with dazed looks and lots of muttering to ourselves and anyone who will listen. (or pretend to listen, anyway)

A guy came up to me and said..."where are your batteries?" I pointed to the big stand of batteries right in front of him. He looked at them, looked back at me, and said "oh". It's hard not to roll your eyes at things like that.
Another time a man bought a mailbox. Mailboxes are big...it stood about 2 feet high as I placed it on the top of the bag carousel. That was the only thing he had. He paid me and started to spin the thing around looking in all the bags. "Where is my mailbox?" (he said indignantly) I patted it on it's top and said "right here". He didn't say a word, just picked up his mailbox and left. (deep breath here)

The first of the year Oregon implemented a $.05 bottle deposit for water bottles. A lady today paid for her case of water, then held out the receipt I had just given her. I asked her if something was wrong. She said "here's the receipt now give me my bottle deposits back." (really big sigh and biting the inside of my mouth) I explained that she had to drink the water first then bring the empty bottles back to the store for the refund. She scrunched up her brow...thought for a minute, then said "I guess that's OK", and left with her water.
You can't make this stuff up.

No comments: